Monday, January 16, 2017

Those who came before us

Today was a day filled with a lot of reflection on the grieving process. Hearing stories of people putting their lives on the line to fight for a cause that benefits me today has changed the way I think about what I have. I have heard these stories throughout my education, but being present in the spaces where their souls actually dwelled changed things. I have trouble being solemn and sad when I am presented with heavy material such as Bloody Sunday, but I instead feel joyful and excited for my soul to be present in these spaces. I feel happy and blessed that those who came before me did. I look forward to mobilizing for the causes of today, while not forgetting the path that has been paved for me.

Atira Koikoi

No comments:

Post a Comment