Friday, January 20, 2017

I've learned to be grateful

Sunflower County hit my feelings hard. It's amazing how I have things that I take for granted. The freedom project kids are really insightful and intelligent. They are aware of what is going on in their community and wishes that things could change. There was one I talked to who asked me about the life in Baltimore City. I told him how it was then I asked him how life was in sunflower county. He explained to me that he lived down the street from the freedom project building and he noticed that the area had a big littering problem. He told me the story about how everyday, he and his mom pick up the litter. He told me he felt defeated because every time he picked up litter there was more than before. He also told me how he wished he had more better looking books than he has. He comes from a family of seven and always get the ripped up books. His story had me thinking about it him the whole way home. I want to donate books to his family and the freedom project. It was nice to hear ideas, problems, and solutions from students my age and a bit younger. When it came time for us to go, I didn't want to leave. I felt a little at home there. I wish there was a way I could help them in their community. I wish I didn't take the things I have for granted so much. Out of this trip, I've learned to be grateful for what I have. I've learned that there are people who have it much worse than I have. 

Kaijah Dawson 
City Neighbors High School

No comments:

Post a Comment