Thursday, January 19, 2017

Lessons on Interpersonal Connections

The big emphasis from today was on the group dynamic, and how some students felt like they did not have a setting where they could openly share their views without judgment. I was troubled by the number of people who felt that way, and it made me want to do better in how I act around people who have perspectives that differ from mine, whether it be perceived or explicitly shared. For many people it is difficult to share their thoughts with a big group, because there are fears of how they will then be perceived in the eyes of others or if they will be respected. And going forward in the future I aim to be entirely honest about my perspective with another person, and appear open to their unique views, so that we can have an open, two sided conversation. Personally I am much better about speaking to individuals than to a group, so in those personal conversations I want to establish connections with those whose perspectives I do not regularly experience, in order to gain a better understanding of their situation and where we hold common ground in issues we care about.

Once again it is clear that this trip is not only providing me with hugely important information, but also lessons on how to interact with people from much different backgrounds than myself. These life lessons are sometimes more important than learning hard facts, and it's great that the trip has a capacity to affect participants within both of these planes.

Pablo Richter, Baltimore City College

No comments:

Post a Comment