Monday, January 16, 2017

Human like me

When you think of people like Dr. King and John Lewis you think of them as being these perfect heroes but today I learned that my heroes are human. We often dissociate our heroes from human traits and I never noticed myself doing it. I almost saw them as being human and like me as a flaw. I didn't realize how my comprehension of the lives of my heroes affected me. Me seeing them as these perfected people robbed me of the ability to learn from them. Seeing Dr. King's house and hearing about him as a child showed me that its ok to be human and to make mistakes. Understanding that my heroes are human gives me the opportunity to learn form them on a different level and relate to them. 

-Dominique White, Baltimore City College

No comments:

Post a Comment