Monday, January 16, 2017

Day 2

Today reminded me of how far we've come, but also of how far we have to go. The morning service we attended at Ebenezer Baptist Church in Atlanta was electrifying: powerful energy and a sermon that mentioned our duties in the era of Trump made me feel proud to be in Atlanta, proud to be on this trip. Touring Martin Luther King, Jr.'s, house similarly empowered me. King was a person of flesh and blood, a flawed person; if he could do the extraordinary, so, maybe, can I. But walking through the Center for Civil and Human Rights also reminded me of the pain so many people have endured in America's history, both in enduring and in fighting injustice. Here, and in many other places, it was and will be important for me to find a balance between optimism for the future and mourning for the past in my experiences on this trip.

-Anonymous

No comments:

Post a Comment