Monday, January 16, 2017

Day 2: Change Maker

January 15th, 2017

Today was a huge day in Civil Rights History. It is Martin Luther King Jr.'s  88th birthday because of it a portion of our day was dedicated it .


Ebenezer Church
At the Ebenezer Baptist Church I instantly felt intense chills from the god and Martin's spirit being so heavy in the place. I also found it interesting that the Call to worship, opening hymn and benevolence offering was greeting the congregation in a non godly way that I wasn't use to. After those things one song that they sung was "Make me an instrument for thy peace" this was meaningful to me because I've been asking my higher power to just make me over and use me for the purpose that it intends for me. This song was reassurance for me.The tribute was honoring of all the things he couldn't have done if he sneezed after being stabbed near his aorta. From there they sung "We have Victory" and I took that as, MLK has his victory and now through what our higher power has instilled in us we can also have the victory. After that someone did a except of Dr. King's infamous I have a Dream speech. Then they sung, "Determined" (To go on) which told me that I'm going in the right direction in life. 

Here are some quotes that hit me from the sermon named "Texts for turbulent times"

"They fought for their rights knowing they won't win."

"You can cut off a snake head and it will shake and rattle but it's already dead."

"When the black church turns its head to freedom fighting it should die." 

"The baby was laying in a mess smiling and speaking in tongues because she's in a mess and when when your tired of fighting that the mess isn't yours, but the lord."

Birth Home 
We were also able to see the house that Martin Luther King Jr's family was born and raised in. It helped me realize that he was just honestly human first and a leader second. It also opened my eyes to how impactful your childhood can be. 

Center of Civil and Human Rights 
The big part of my experience their was the countertop exhibit. I think this was a big part not only because It's ingrained in my head, but because I felt as though that I was getting abused for eating at the table like the Greensboro Four. 

Overall Takeaway 
I feel as though that some of our ancestors fought for us to not go through situations like segregation, but it's now our turn to make sure our little brothers, sisters and cousins don't have to go through the situation. In order to do that we as the generation have to take our seat at the table of America seriously. My overarching question still remains. I know what I want to do just like our ancestors knew they wanted to abolish segregation, but how?


-Victoria Able, City Neighbors High School

No comments:

Post a Comment