Thursday, January 19, 2017

more than physical violence

Being on the trip, I have heard many stories from the prominent leaders who led and had unique

experiences with the Civil Rights Movement. They opened my eyes to the physical violence that

they each experienced and how it affected them as individuals and as a united front that fought

to end the inequalities and injustices that occurred in their youth, but being on this trip has

showed me that there is more than physical violence. Microaggressions stapled in ancient racial

stereotypes manifest themselves in everyday ways. Before this trip I believe that I may have

been oblivious to them, but because of the trip and the strong support system around me I am

stronger and wiser. This civil rights trip has given me a wiser and stronger mindset to combat

these microaggressions and the social constructs that they grow out of. Overall I am thankful for

this experience to grow and reflect as a person.

-A

No comments:

Post a Comment