Thursday, January 19, 2017

CRT Day 4: Montgomery

After Roscoe Jones spoke, I went with a group of others to ask him some questions while others got dessert. I forget who asked the question, but he was asked if he ever felt like giving up during the movement, and he said yes. When we asked why, he said “It’s always lonely at the top.” Being a student leader had been very stressful and isolating, and there were times when he wanted to stop. But he kept on going. Since I myself want to be a leader of some or any sort in the future, I really took that to heart as words of caution, or a warning of what I would be getting myself into. It was powerful coming from someone like him, who was my age and worked in the movement. I wonder if I could become that involved at my age.

Looking forward to Mississippi tomorrow.

Luke Pound, The Park School

No comments:

Post a Comment