Thursday, January 19, 2017

Day 5: Mississippi

Today was a very LONG day! I am exhausted & tired but overall today I reached my "breaking point." Today I cried when we went to Sunflower County Freedom Project. I just fell in love with all the students. They were so nice and kind to me & very intelligent! The reason I cried today is because I just realized how grateful I am to go to a school thats not segregated, Grateful to live in a community with diversity not just all black people, and I'm glad my school has after school programs that are easy for me to access. The students have to take a long ride from their schools just to get extra help like tutoring and drama classes and I feel like those programs should be available at their school. I also cried because I realized I take so many things for granted. For example my school has a lot of extra curricular activities after school that I could participate in but I'm just lazy to and I'm starting to realize that I need to take advantage of the things around me because not everyone has the same opportunities available to them as I do. This brought me back to the overnight when we did the egg drop challenge because the same type of thing went on . Some people couldn't succeed during the egg challenge because they didn't have the right materials or didn't know how to use them in a way to save their egg from cracking . Honestly, now that I went to the Sunflower County Freedom Project I am encouraged me to send them and other schools supplies that may help them. I also want to get something started in my community that could help schools facing these same problems. I don't know how I will get it done but it's something I'll definitely be speaking to teachers and others when I get back to rhode island.

Kelley Sellers, Hope High School

No comments:

Post a Comment