Friday, January 20, 2017

Being able to put a face to the name

Today was the perfect for me. Everything that has happened was fine but the thing that made it perfect for me was meeting freedom School co-chair of Meridian, Mississippi, Roscoe Jones. Meeting Mr.Jones means so much to me because as a student who attended freedom School, meeting a co-chair of one of the first schools ever, and hearing about how it was back then, and comparing it to how it is now, the curriculum is the same. Focusing on teaching kids how to read past their reading level, math, learning necessary life skills, and future occupation skills. I feel as though our curriculum is a little different today but not by a lot. By me knowing the history of how freedom schools were prior to meeting Roscoe Jones and finally being able to put a face to the name was more than exciting.

Kaijah Dawson 
City Neighbors High School

No comments:

Post a Comment