Monday, January 16, 2017

The Most Difficult part of today

Today the most difficult part for me was the Woolworth lunch counter simulation. I knew that it would be difficult but I had no idea how real it was going to feel. I sat down, put my hands on the counter, closed my eyes and got ready. I began to hear a man's voice in my ear. I felt like he was really there, right next to me. He started yelling things like "get up! I'm gonna kill you right here in front of everyone!" Then my seat started shaking and banging. I flinched a few times because I felt like there were really people behind me. I started to feel afraid and I thought about what the kids went though when they actually sat at that counter. Then I started to feel my eyes water and I got up. I walked away upset with myself because I couldn't finish it. I thought about how those students that were all around my age actually sat at that counter and didn't get up. So I went back to the simulation because I wanted to finish it, and I did. I felt proud of myself for going back even though I almost cried the first time I went. After doing the simulation I had a little bit of a better understanding of what those students went through. If it were me I wouldn't have been able to sit at the seat all calm and collected.

-Imani McDaniel, Hope High School

No comments:

Post a Comment